Monday 17 March 2008

Exporting emerging Korean cultures to other cultures


Most of we are familiar with the term 'Samurai', 'Ninja' and 'Geisha'.
These words are known not only in Asian cultures but worldwide.
They appear as heroes in movies, games and animations.

It is because Japan had succeeded in selling their cultures to other places.
Then what is the best source we have in Korea that we could sell to the world?


Korea has one of the longest history in the world and I am sure many will be interested to learn about our tradition, but what I believe is more intersting to everyone, especially to the newer generation is new emerging culture of Korea.

Korea has the fastest internet connection in the world and people are adapted to IT than anywhere else in the world. Most of cyber events, problems, researches and cultures start here in Korea.
For example, the term 'ProGamer' or the occupation started in Korea and Pro Gaming Leagues and teams were first formed in Korea. The Korean term 'Gosu' which refers to master, superior, high-grade player, has become a common term for all the gamers of the world. I was surprised to see many American game sites that inculded the term 'Gosu'.
Personal web page, Cyworld has started years beofre in Korea and America's Facebook succeeded after years later.
Another good example can be NAVER KnowledgeIN (지식인). Every problems we face, and questions we have, others have it too. It is very useful tool to solve a question. It is amazing there isn't STILL any similar site in English. Thier concept is differnt from a search engine. Whenever I get sick, I look up on searching for my symthoms, and it gives direct result and I know what my illness is. This is something that can't be done through search engine such as google. (I can't search for 'I have headache and bad stomach.') Starting a site with similar concept in English I strongly believe will bring success.
Korean language itself is very descriptive and flexible, and Koreans too have great ideas in humor and stories. Well known emoticons such as :) or ;p are widely used among English users, but Koreans streched further and came up with creative emoticons like
d(-.-b) = Thumbs up
ㅠ_ㅠ = crying
(/-.-)/ㅕ = Flipping a table

I believe that our ideas and emerging culture is a great resource and a valuable item that would sell. I often come across extremely humorous, great stories and ideas that I am encouraged to translate it to english and share it with the whole world.
We are the first in taking next step of the cyber world. This is the field we are ahead of others.
And exporting our new culture, will definitely be a good business strategy.
- 2nd Bolg by 20200652


No comments: