Wednesday 19 March 2008

2. Differentiation & Innovation



The name "pimp watch" is quite common among the youth who has consistant intrigue in fashion. Let's first talk about the word "pimp". It's funny how people don't use the word to demean someone, neither perceived as a derogatory term. Pimp actually means hip, cool, awesome, stylish or represents just about anything that is generally positive; it no longer means a fearful, afro-haired man in his pink tight pants with purple fur muffler who prefers to slap their prostitutes with their back hand rather than forward hand.

I came across an ad few weeks ago in a fashion magazine of a product called the "pimp watch". Its slick design caught my attention but rather I was confused. It had no dials but only several dotted lights. At first, my thought led me to believe that it is just a fashion item with no purpose but to attract others whenever it lit up. Unable to conquer my curiosity I did a research on the internet. It comes out to be that pimp watch is actually a time indicating device. It had its own unique way of reading the time. And this product uses LED (light emitting diode or luminescent diode) to produce light. Basically what the company did was differentiate and innovate the watch. LED is used in TV, computer, or any other electronic devices which indicates light and various colors. Company used such a commonly used device to create a new product. Also the time reading method is very unusual, however it is an innovation of how people read time without the dial (this is very fresh). On top of that its name is of younger generation's commonly used term. I think it is a brilliant idea and for fun I have purchased my own.
-20300742- (#2 entry)

No comments: